Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised January 15, 2016 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
JANUARY IS BOARD APPRECIATION MONTH
Monday, January 18, 2016 Regular Board meeting CHANGED to Tuesday, January 19 due to the Martin Luther King Holiday
5:30pm Board Workshop on Roberts Rules of Order by Sequim FFA
6:00pm Regular Board Meeting
Agenda –Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Request approval of the minutes from the January 4, 2016 Regular Board Meeting.
4. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
5. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
6. PUBLIC COMMENTS - This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication from those in attendance who wish to speak any item. The board thanks you for your comments and will take into consideration what you have shared when making decisions regarding this topic. (Ref. Policy 1430, 4220 and 4220P)
7. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
a. School Board Recognition
8. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business with a motion from any Board member.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 185195 thru No. 185208 in the total amount of $12,192.87; and No. 185209 thru No. 185210 in the total amount of $1,985.50; and No. 185211 thru No. 185211 in the total amount of $398.25 and Voids/Cancellations in the total amount of $422.89; and No. 185212 thru No. 185279 in the total amount of $277,863.51.
c. Capital Projects Vouchers No. 2595 thru No. 2595 in the total amount of $7,826.40.
d. Personnel - Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1. Accept Letter of Resignation from Kandice Leitz, Greywolf Elementary Paraeducator, effective immediately, as presented.
2. Offer Bus Driving position to Karen Arnason, for the 2015-2016 school year, effective January 11, 2016 as presented.
3. Offer Landscaper/Groundskeeper position to Michael Hovis for the 2015-2016 school year, effective December 21, 2015 as presented.
4. Offer Bus Driving position to Dave Roberts, for the 2015-2016 school year, effective January 4, 2016 as presented.
5. Offer Classified LAP Reading Paraeducator position to Melissa Karapostoles, for the 2015-2016 school year, effective January 11, 2016 as presented.
6. Offer Certificated .5 Title 1 Math Position to Karla Wiker, for the 2015-2016 school year, effective January 19, 2016 as presented.
e. For Surplus -- School Bus 1-09, 2009 Blue Bird, VIN 1BABNBKA2AF267466, Condition: Excellent
f. Approve Contract for Services between Sequim School District #323 and Peninsula Behavioral Health, to provide behavioral health services to students at Helen Haller Elementary School, for the 2015-2016 school year, as presented. This contract is funded by a grant through the Haller Foundation.
9. OLD BUSINESS
a. At First Reading NEW Revised Policy #2195 – Academic Acceleration. The board is encouraged to adopt an academic acceleration policy, under which students who meet state standards in a particular area—be it math or reading/writing—are automatically enrolled in the next most rigorous level of advanced courses. The ultimate goal is that these students will eventually be eligible for automatic enrollment in dual-credit courses. Classified Discretionary Dr. Ann Renker, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
10. NEW BUSINESS
a. Overnight travel request for Olympic Peninsula Academy students to travel to the Digipen campus in Redmond, Washington on January 22 & 23, 2016 in order to participate in a Future City Competition. Lilli Hardesty, Future City Advisor
b. Overnight travel request for Sequim High School Future Farmers of American to travel to Colton, Washington on January 15-16 to participate in the Pullman Trap Shoot, as presented. Steve Mahitka, FFA Advisor
c. Overnight travel request for Sequim High School Band and Choir to attend the All-State Competition in Yakima, Washington on February 12-14, 2016.
d. Introduce Policy #3422 Concussion, Head Injury and Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Dave Ditlefsen, High School Athletic Director The policy has been updated to reflect new legal requirements effective July 24, 2015. The new law has several requirements regarding awareness and prevention of sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) and essentially tracks the language and process of the Zachary Lystedt law on concussive head injury. Classified Essential
e. Board discussion regarding videotaping our board meetings
a. Sequim Options School Improvement Plan – Randy Hill, Sequim High School Principal Assistant Principal
b. Olympic Peninsula Academy School Improvement Plan – Randy Hill, Olympic Peninsula Academy Principal
c. Superintendent’s Report
12. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. PDC Filing for Board members is open online. Due April 15th
b. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o January 23 – 1pm to 2:30 School Walking Tour begin at Board Room
o January 28 – 6:30pm Washington State Learning Standards & School Bond Community Coffee Chat at Boys & Girls Club
o January 31 to February 1 – 2016 Legislative Conference at Olympic College
o Monday, February 1 – 5:15pm Board Workshop; 6pm Regular Board Meeting
February 15 – Regular Board Meeting
Moved to February 16 due to Holiday
o Tuesday, February 16 – 5:15pm Board Workshop; 6pm Regular Board Meeting
b. February 9, 2016 – Bond Election
c. Enrollment Report for January 2016
d. Free & Reduced Lunch percentages for January 2016.
13. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER