“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised February 18, 2017 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, February 21, 2017 – Meeting Rescheduled due to President’s Day Holiday
6:00pm – Regular Board Meeting, Immediately followed by a Board Work Session
Agenda –Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Request approval of the minutes from the February 6, 2017 Regular Board Meeting.
4. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
5. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
6. PUBLIC COMMENTS - The Board believes that public comments are a very important connection between our community and the Board. This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication. We ask first that if you have comments, you come forward, introduce yourself and share your comments. Comments will be taken in the following order:
1) Regarding Agenda items
2) Regarding general items
Each speaker will be allowed 3 minutes and a red card will be held up when 30 seconds remains. (Ref. Policy 1400, 1623, and 1620P).
7. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
a. Board president response to any action items from public comments
b. Regular board communication
c. Review last meeting’s exit slips
8. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business with a motion from any Board member.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 187651 thru No. 187651 in the total amount of $1,463.63 with Voids/Cancellations in the total amount of $4,878.77: and No. 187652 thru No. 187754 in the total amount of $546,899.67.
b. ASB Fund Voucher No. 10761 thru No. 10774 in the total amount of $11,638.75.
c. Capital Projects Vouchers No. 2601 thru No. 2602 in the total amount of $3,122.50.
d. Personnel - Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1) Offer Classified Sequim Middle School Paraeducator position to Annabelle Thomas, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective January 31, 2017 as presented.
2) Offer Classified High School Special Education Paraeducator position to Taylor Sebring, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective January 31, 2017 as presented.
3) Accept Leave of Absence Request from Olivia Catelli, Helen Haller Elementary Kindergarten teacher, from approximately March 24, 2017 thru May 22, 2017 as presented.
4) Approve Leave of Absence Request for Norma Gorham, Olympic Peninsula Academy Math and Science teacher, for six weeks, or possibly longer, effective February 7, 2017 as presented.
5) Accept Letter of Resignation from Caihley Baker, Sequim High School Junior Varsity Cheer Coach, effective February 25, 2017 as presented.
6) Offer High School Assistant Baseball coach position to Preston McFarlen, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective February 27, 2017 as presented.7) Accept Letter of Resignation from Tami Wall, Helen Haller Elementary Title 1 Math Specialist, effective immediately, as presented.8) Approve two-day Leave Without Pay request from Allyson Cundiff, Helen Haller Assistant Principal, for May 11-12, 2017, as presented.
e. Declare as Surplus the following
White 1990 Dodge Caravan
9. OLD BUSINESS
a. For Second Reading and Adoption, Policy #5240 – Evaluation of Staff. The policy has been updated to remove procedural implementation language. The procedure has been deleted entirely to avoid confusion with collective bargaining agreements, which typically address evaluations. Classified Essential.
10. NEW BUSINESS
a. Sequim High School Future Business Leaders of America request approval for overnight travel to Spokane Washington, April 19-22, 2017 to attend the FBLA State Conference, as presented. Mark Knudson, FBLA Advisor
b. Introduction for Recommendation to DELETE Policy #5211 – Transfers. WSSDA recommends that the policy be deleted because most transfers and reassignments for represented personnel are regulated by collective bargaining agreements and this policy can create confusion if it runs counter to such provisions. Non-represented personnel work in such varied and assorted positions that a comprehensive policy is difficult to apply to all situations. Paul Wieneke, Executive Director of Human Resources
c. Introduction for Recommendation to DELETE Policy #5215 – Assignment and Transfer of Certificated Administrative Staff. WSSDA recommends that the policy be deleted because it is an unnecessary reiteration of the procedure and process for transfer of certificated administrative staff pursuant to RCW 28A.405.230. Paul Wieneke, Executive Director of Human Resources
d. Introduction for Recommendation to DELETE Policy and Procedure #5230 – Job Descriptions/Responsibilities. WSSDA recommends that the policy and procedure be deleted due to the fact that Human Resources departments regularly modify job descriptions so listing them in policy is inappropriate. Paul Wieneke, Executive Director of Human Resources
e. Introduction for Recommendation to DELETE Procedure #5280P – Termination of Employment. WSSDA recommends that the procedure be deleted because these processes are regulated by state statute and collective bargaining agreements. Paul Wieneke, Executive Director of Human ResourcesRecommendation to DELETE the policies ‘b’ thru ‘d’ above will be voted upon at the March 6, 2017 Regular Board Meeting.The Board does not vote to delete Procedures, but must be informed of the action. Please see Policy #1310 – Policy Adoption, Manuals and Administrative Procedures, and Policy #1320 – Suspension of a Policy for more information.
Student Performance Report for Science – Deb Beckett, District Science CoordinatorPostponed to the March 6 meeting due to scheduling conflicts.
b. CommunityNeeds Assessment results – Dr. Ann Renker, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching & Learning
c. January Budget Reports -- Heidi Hietpas, Executive Director of Finance and Operations
- January Summary report and discussion of General Fund budget amendment
- January 2017 General Fund Comparative report
- January 2017 Budget Status report
- Audit update
- 2017-18 Budget Calendar
d. Superintendent’s Report
12. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. PDC Filing for Board members is open online. Due April 15th
b. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o Monday, March 6 – 6pm Regular Board Meeting
o Monday, March 20 – 6pm Regular Board Meeting
c. Free and Reduced lunch percentages for February, 2017d. Other items of interest:
- March 2 - Read Across America (SHS students to HHE, SMS students to GWE), GWE Family Math Night @ 5:30 p.m. in the gym
- March 6 – No School for Students, D-TRI for Staff, School Board meeting @ 6 p.m.
- March 12 – Daylight Savings Time begins (spring forward)
- March 16 & 17 – GWE Drama Club Presentation @ 6 p.m. in gym
- March 22 – 25 – SHS Band to Heritage Festival in Anaheim
- March 29 – SHS Choir Concert @ 7 p.m. in auditorium
- March 30 – SHS Band Concert @ 7 p.m. in auditorium
13. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
15. BOARD WORK SESSION