- Please notify the office for any absences or pre-excuses: 360-582-3300.
- The following document gives the Sequim School District guidelines and policy for Excused & Unexcused Absences: Absent Policy pdf
Unexcused - Truancy Becca Bill Information
Washington law requires children from age 8 to 17 to attend a public school, private school, or to receive home-based instruction homeschooling). Each of Washington’s school districts addresses the definition of unexcused absences and interventions in a manner consistent with school board policies. Similarly, local juvenile courts address the petition process in a manner consistent with local county juvenile justice priorities and resources. For further information please visit the OSPI website.
- After one unexcused absence in a month, the school is required to inform the parent in writing or by phone.
- After two unexcused absences, the school is required to initiate a parent conference to improve the student's attendance.
- After five unexcused absences in a month, the parent and school must enter a contract to improve the student's attendance. Or, the case can be referred to a Community Truancy Board.
- After seven unexcused absences in a month, or ten unexcused absences in an academic year, the school district may file truancy petitions with the juvenile court.
- If the student is not in compliance with a court order resulting from a tuition petition, the school is required to file a contempt motion.
More information can be found at http://www.k12.wa.us/SafetyCenter/Truancy/default.aspx